Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ten Most Important Short Story Writers for 10-10-10

Since I'm a sucker for commemorative occasions and symbolic dates, how could I resist posting a list of “ten” to commemorate the tenth day of the tenth month of the tenth year of the century. We will never see another. So here is my list of the 10 most important short story writers in the history of the genre, with a brief note explaining why I think they are so important.

Giovanni Boccaccio
Because he transformed the oral tale into written literary art

Edgar Allan Poe

Because he recognized that pattern was more important than plot

Nathaniel Hawthorne
Because he populated symbolic romance stories with as-if-real characters

Anton Chekhov
Because he created “realistic” stories with symbolic significance

James Joyce
Because he recognized that short fiction was a spiritual “showing forth”

Eudora Welty

Because she created a world of mythic meaning out of common folk

Flannery O’Connor

Because she understood that true reality of short fiction was the realm of the sacred

Raymond Carver

Because he created haunting recognitions out of the most minimal of materials

William Trevor

Because he subtly suggests the secret lives of us all

Alice Munro
Because she’s Alice Munro


More on the divine Alice next week when I post an extended analysis of her new story in the Oct. 11 New Yorker, “Corrie.”

I welcome all suggestions of disagreements, deletions, or other alterations to this list, with justifications for the aforesaid. But that doesn't mean I will change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment